Today is World TB day, a date that marks the announcement, in 1882 by Dr Robert Koch, of the discovery of the TB bacillus which causes Tuberculosis.
There has been impressive UK media coverage throughout the day, drawing public attention to the global epidemic of TB and the efforts to eliminate the disease. Below are links to a number of the UK articles marking World TB day. Do get commenting on these items to make sure as much coverage as possible is generated!
- Health Correspondent Sarah Boseley’s Blog Page http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/sarah-boseley-global-health/2010/mar/18/tuberculosis-malaria-prevention;
- Story by Sarah Boseley: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/18/drug-resistant-tb-tuberculosis-spreading;
- Letter to the editor from RESULTS UK, Target TB, AMREF, MSF, Julie Morgan, APPG-TB and TB Alert on behalf of the UK Coalition to Stop TB: http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2010/mar/24/make-tb-history
- Guest blog by Judith Mandelbaum Schmid of the Stop TB Partnership: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/sarah-boseley-global-health/2010/mar/24/tuberculosis-celebrity
Financial Times –
- FT supplement on World TB Day in the paper and online – includes a podcast interview online with Alistair Story about the Find & Treat mobile TB X-ray unit; TV broadcast online by Lucy Chesire about being a TB patient and about community responses to TB; opinion editorial by Archbishop Desmond Tutu about having TB and launch of ‘TB: A disease of the past? Action now!’ campaign; and a report from AMREF TB project in Uganda. All available from: http://www.ft.com/reports/tb-2010
BBC Focus on Africa –
- Interview with Lucy Chesire for morning programmes. http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/audioconsole/?stream=networkafrica
British Medical Journal –
- Latest Tuberculosis statistics are a “wake-up call for all governments to act immediately”: http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/340/mar22_2/c1614
- Baroness Masham: http://www.epolitix.com/latestnews/article-detail/newsarticle/vigilance-needed-against-the-spread-of-tb/
- UK Coalition to Stop TB: http://www.epolitix.com/latestnews/article-detail/newsarticle/tb-a-disease-of-the-past-action-now/